The elderberry, known as Sambucus, or elder (from the Latin "Sambucus"), is an easy-to-grow shrub with many health and nutritional benefits. People have been using them for centuries since they're an excellent addition to your cooking and medicine cabinet. Elderberries can be consumed in many ways, from making jams, wine, tea, or delicious syrup.
Medicinally, elderberries have been used for anything from menstrual cramps, flu, and colds to epilepsy. A single Elderberry contains the vitamin C of twelve oranges, the potassium of two bananas, and the antioxidants of ten cups of tea. They have more antioxidants at a level equivalent to red wine. Elderberries are native to the Northern Hemisphere and can be found in Asia, Europe, and North America.
Here you can find the top 10 Reasons Why Elderberries Are The New Superfood:
- Elderberries are high in antioxidants which help fight off free radicals that can damage cells, leading to faster cell aging and the development of certain types of cancer.
- They contain powerful anti-inflammatory agents that can reduce inflammation in the body, helping to relieve pain and discomfort from various conditions such as arthritis or joint pain.
- Elderberries contain vitamins A, B, C, and E, essential for healthy skin and hair, making them an excellent natural remedy for beauty needs.
- The immune-boosting properties of Elderberries can help ward off colds and flu season by strengthening the body's resistance to infections.
- Elderberries can regulate blood sugar levels which is beneficial for those with diabetes or at risk of developing this condition.
- They can lessen hay fever symptoms by reducing inflammation in the nasal passages, thus providing relief from allergies.
- Elderberries may help reduce cholesterol levels due to their high antioxidants and soluble fiber levels.
- They are a good source of dietary fiber, helping promote healthier digestion and overall health.
- Elderberries have been suggested to aid weight loss through their fat-burning qualities when consumed regularly and combined with a healthy diet and exercise routine.
- Lastly, elderberry syrup can easily be added to smoothies or teas as a natural sweetener while providing all these fantastic benefits!
Elderberries have become a staple in our home as they are delicious, healthy, and versatile. We invite you to share the benefits with your family and friends! Whether you have never tried elderberries or have wanted to expand your horizons, we hope you will try them out.
These statements are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. For any medical concern you should consult with an appropriately-licensed physician or other health care worker. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. Full Medical Disclaimer.